Monday, June 05, 2006

Life is good

Life is good for two reasons for me today:

1) I got a new computer. It is a macbook. And it is essentially the sweetest product in the history of man.



2) I got a chance to see tapes 'n tapes on Sunday night at the Bowery. The foursome from Minnesota definitely lived up to the hype with an uppity, unpredictable, and excitable set to the crowd of about 500 fans. These guys kind of came out of nowhere with their tremendously inconsistent album, The Loon. Each song is different and you can barely understand any of the lyrics, yet perhaps because of those two features the short 41 minute compilation is on major repeat on my ipod. (I can't decide if I'm still trying to figure out what they're saying or just given up and created my own lyrics - either way if you happen to know what the hell is being said during The Iliad please let me know).

The inconsistency is part of the fun in listening to tnt - in their songs you can hear influences from everywhere, including The Zutons, CYSHY, Modest Mouse and probably a little Shins thrown in there (and I swear even a little 90's throw back to Rusted Root).

Bonus to the show - one of the opening bands was pretty good. Another foursome from Modesto, California named Cold War Kids. They definitely were an unpolished cross between Interpol, MM (again) and The Rapture, but they had that early "I wrote this song in my parent's garage" potential. Plus some pretty endearing fans in the mix.

Tapes 'n Tapes are headed across country now on tour - look for dates at www.tapesntapes.com.

Cold War Kids website can be found at www.coldwarkids.com.

No comments: