Sunday, November 05, 2006

High Speed Mixing

So it's possible that since I've been so focused on Britpop and the like-punkness of many bands out there the past couple of years that I've missed a pretty big revisiting of mixing, DJing and turntables on the indie scene. Or perhaps it's been there all along and I just never noticed. Regardless thought I'd pass along to you guys a few different DJs and electronic artists that I've been listening to lately.

Cut Chemist
Cut Chemist is the stage name of Lucas MacFadden, a Hip Hop artist and DJ who's been on the scene for the past decade and worked with major names like Jurassic 5 and Unity Committee. As of Jurassic's last album MacFadden had parted with them (not sure on what terms) but he's since gone on to thoroughly explore his mixing abilities and release a full length album, "The Audience is Listening." Since it's release in July, the self titled single off the album has gone on to be featured in the most recent Apple nano ad (and if you've seen it, you know how catchy the song is).


Because Cut Chemist's roots are in Hip Hop his mixing is of course very beat heavy, with low toned lyrics and strong bass lines. He's got some strong LA routes and it looks to me like he's willing to dip into a lot of the music scene out there, remixing gloom rock's She Wants Revenge songs into his own (and in my opinion making them better).

Cut Chemist will be at Webster Hall in NY this Friday and is moving onto Philly and DC over the weekend. Find out more about him at his website or myspace page.

The Pinker Tones
So I must admit that my brother-in-law brought these guys to my attention a while ago but it wasn't until I saw them pop up on indiefeed and at CMJ Music Marathon that I took a second look. A mixing duo from Barcelona, The Pinker Tones are what you might find if you threw together Gorillaz and The Bee Gees - hilarious upbeat and easy to bop along to. Just like Cut Chemist clearly has influences in Hip Hop The Pinker Tones clearly grew up listening to pop music that spanned the 70s, 80s and especially the 90s, when C&C music factory was played so much it probably made my ears bleed. But from what I've heard these guys take the best of the aforementioned groups and turn it into viable dance songs, and apparently they've made it to #1 on the Spanish dance charts.

If you are looking for anything from dance themes to upbeat background music to something to go spinning to, these are your guys. Find them at their website or on myspace.

No comments: