Monday, May 15, 2006

Gremlins

So on Saturday night I went to check out Mogwai at Webster Hall. Mogwai has been around since 1995, but has been seeing some more popularity lately - perhaps due to the resurgence of post-punk rock (thank you - Pixies - for doing a reuniting tour last year). Their music has a ton of lo(oooooo)ng guitar instrumentals - and not a ton of vocals. Interestingly though, their recorded material doesn't really give you a sense of what they're going to be like live.

Observations from the show include:

  • This band plays to their audience like a bell curve: one second they are really mellow and the next you've got some major Tool-esque crescendo. Certainly keeps people awake, and you know, variety is the spice of life.
  • The bald guitar player is probably the most recognizable of the group, but the keyboard player (who doubles as a guitar player for the big numbers) is the man behind the music. He was rockin' the PC during the concert, but I think he might've just been playing Halo.
  • The light show/dry ice steam were truly top notch additions to the show - not sure if that was the band manager's decision, but if so, A+ buddy!

I took some images and video at the event, but since I'm functionally r*tarded I can't get them to work. Yeah, I'm so f*cking sweet. Hopefully I'll get them working soon... Stay tuned.

PS - I just learned that they actually remixed the version of "Plans" on Bloc Party's album, Silent Alarms. Treat!

No comments: