Tuesday, September 05, 2006

New Music Bridgade

I'm hotly anticipating some new album releases coming up, and I thought I'd share with you guys some of my excitement...

1) OH MAH GAW the new Scissor Sisters single is SO GOOD. It's been floating around the internet for a while and I know some folks have already heard it, not to mention they've been testing it on us concert-goers for a while now (I heard it at Coachella and again at the Siren Festival) but I can not get over how good it is. By the by, song title is "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" and although the lyrics are quite sad (no dancing for me today) the song is all about shaking, moving, getting up out of your seat and being silly. Literally, I almost just danced around my apartment. Well, maybe not, but CLOSE.

www.myspace.com/scissorsisters

2) I'm From Barcelona - self titled LP. This Swedish group (tricky name!) are on my list of what I'll probably play to my kids when I have kids (20 years from now, when I'm old) because their music is what Barney would sound like if he were hanging out in Washington Square Park looking slightly delirious with a grungy mullet, worn out Chuck Taylors and pants that are too short for him. Pretty good, even for a purple dinosaur...

www.myspace.com/imfrombarcelona (listen to Treehouse, We're From Barcelona)

(PS - I have no idea when this album is being released in the states but if I find out will let you know. Also if you have time check out the hilarious video)

3) The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls of America. Apparently this album is like the second coming for the indie world. Pitchfork has been totally busting a nut over it for a long time, and hopefully for good reason. The first single - "Chips Ahoy" - is strong, solid rock & roll. It sounds like it was the love child of Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, The Lemonheads, The Gin Blossoms and Blues Traveler - which, sh*t, I think is still pretty good. I mean hell, I grew up on that stuff and loved it - long live the flannel shirt!

Listen to "Chips Ahoy" at www.myspace.com/theholdsteady

1 comment:

chihuahua said...

Dear Poodle,
You forgot the MOST IMPORTANT NEW ALBUM OF THE MILLENIUM. Hi. You must have temporarily lost your mind. FUTURESEX/LOVESOUNDS by Justin Timberlake, coming out on September 12. A mere 5 days from now.
That's what I'm here for.